My Privacy List
The alternatives that keep my personal information private from prying eyes.
As you might know already by looking at my previous blog posts, I'm heavily invested in privacy and anonymity and I enjoy learning new ways to keep my personal data private.
- ProtonMail ProtonMail is a feature-rich email service with privacy as its main value.
- Riseup Riseup is a non-profit organization with free invite-only services that aims to protect digital freedom and privacy.
- AnonAddy AnonAddy is an extremely helpful service that keeps your main email address hidden from potential spammers and cybercriminals.
- Baikal Baikal is an excellent self-hosted calendar and contacts solution that just works.
- Session Session is a great anonymous and decentralized messenger.
- Signal Signal is a simple messenger with privacy by default.
- Element Element is a Discord-like messenger with end to end encryption.
- XMPP OTR XMPP with off the record is a classic time-tested messaging protocol.
- Joplin Joplin is a comprehensive note-taking app with optional end-to-end encrypted syncing.
- Bitwarden Bitwarden is an end-to-end encrypted password management solution.
- Glasswire Glasswire is a powerful device-wide firewall program with advanced users and alike in mind.
⚠️ Always encrypt sensitive files first before uploading them to any cloud storage provider. While they may be open-source, it is impossible to audit their authenticity completely.
- Filen Filen is a promising end-to-end encrypted cloud storage startup with privacy at its core.
This article is not sponsored by any entity.
⚠️ A VPN is not a bulletproof solution and should not be used for anonymity, but rather privacy. Read VPNs Aren't Magical—Here's Why for more details.
- IVPN IVPN is a trustworthy and very transparent VPN provider. (The CEO of Windscribe used IVPN before starting his company!)
- Mullvad Mullvad is a trustworthy and very transparent VPN provider.
You've reached the end of my list—I hope you were able to discover an alternative or two along the way! If you disagree with any of my choices or just want to talk to me, feel free to send me an email.